Mother's Day weekend was a good one consisting of lots of fun family time. Saturday greeted us with amazing weather - 70 and sunny - so we headed out to the Milly City Farmer's Market opening weekend to enjoy the scenery and fresh air. We listened to a Cajun band, enjoyed some fresh coffee, Addison got to plant 2 flowers and eat an "elephant ear" pastry, pet baby lambs and chicks and make balloon animals with a crazy looking clown. We ran into DJ's old boss and his wife from Time Management which is always a nice surprise. They live in a loft right across from the Guthrie Theater, the site of the Mill City Farmer's Market in the old flower mill district, and are there every weekend. After perusing the market we wandered over to Spoon River for a little lunch on the patio, sun shining and music floating through the air. What a day!
That night DJ and I planned a delicious meal of wasabi salmon, caramelized pineapple, ginger and jalapeno salsa, cucumbers with a miso glaze and an edamame, artichoke heart and asparagus salad, all of which I prepped while the girls were napping, and that DJ fired up after we fed them an early dinner. Our meal turned out more delicious than we could have imagined (a keeper for sure), and even better, we actually got to sit down and enjoy it while the girls played nicely together. We capped off the evening by watching "The Fighter" after the girls went to bed and were hoping for a good night's sleep...but that didn't happen. See, Isla suddenly came down with the sniffles and was up ALL night crying and stuffed up. I'm pretty sure neither DJ nor I (nor Isla for that matter) got more than 45 minutes of consecutive sleep the entire night. But we cranked up the coffee in the morning and kept going. What other choice do you have when your darling 1 year old is up at 5:45am saying "Hiiiii!" with no sign of falling back asleep?
My morning got exponentially better when Addison made her way upstairs with a big white piece of paper in her hand exclaiming "Happy Mudder's Day! I made you a card." DJ told her it was Mother's Day when he was downstairs getting her snack going in the morning, but no one said anything about a card. She did that all on her own! It was filled with her colorful scribbles and I loved it. I ran off to my personal training session at the gym and we had grand plans of going to the park for a picnic later, but it turned gloomy and rainy so those plans were foiled. Instead, we read books, played games, had lunch and then hit Target for some grocery shopping at Addison's request. DJ had wanted me to have a spa day which is very sweet, but totally unnecessary due to the fact that I'll be in Palm Spring in a matter of weeks for a whole spa weekend! This may not sound like the most eventful Mother's Day, but it's truly all I needed. DJ and I are pretty exhausted, but we had a great weekend of family time together. The best Mother's Day by far!
"You're my best mudder" she tells me :)














No comments:
Post a Comment