Monday, November 1, 2010

Halloween was a BUST!

The best laid plans.....

We were so excited for Halloween this year, the year Addison knew what was going on for the first time. She had her monkey costume set to go, banana and all, she had been practicing her monkey sounds and her "Trick or Treat!" all week long. We got in the spirit at a Halloween themed birthday party on Saturday, so Sunday the 31st was the icing on the cake - we were ready to roll. Then the strangest thing happened.


While Addison was outside "working" in the yard with DJ, she had a sudden meltdown. Non-stop tears poured down her cheeks, the wailing and crying grew louder and louder and we couldn't, for the life of us, figure out what was wrong with her. DJ brought her inside and handed her over to me. I couldn't calm her, couldn't even understand her. I was finally able to make out that she wanted to lie on the couch with her blanket and pillow. I set her up on the couch and just sat there rubbing her back, not knowing what else to do. She was yawning and moaning and getting warmer, but didn't want anything to do with food, water or toddler tylenol.


We finally had her lay down for a nap, so I ran out to do a couple of quick errands while DJ came in to watch Isla and listen for Addison. Apparently she woke up less than an hour later, crying again. DJ texted me and said she was still going bonkers and that he told her she couldn't go trick-or-treating if she didn't stop crying. The next text I got said "Get home now - she's throwing up everywhere." Sooooooo, that was it. Poor thing was feeling like crap and didn't know how to articulate it. I came home to find the carpet soaked with Oxy-clean from the oatmeal and berry-stained barf, Isla squirming on her play-mat, and Addison lying on a towel on the floor in nothing but her diaper. She looked at me and said "Hi Mama" like nothing was wrong. Clearly she felt MUCH better, like you do when you have a stomach bug and finally heave. She had one more bout that evening, but slept through the night and woke up fine this morning. Our daycare provider and neighbor came over with a huge bag of games, books, puzzles and toys that she had put together for Addison's Halloween treat, so that put a big smile on her face. Addison's exact words were "OH (pause) my gosh mama. Oh my gosh". So funny!


We felt terrible, especially DJ, for telling her that she had to stop crying! I was so bummed that she had to miss her first real Halloween and even made her put on her monkey costume so I could get a picture. Horrible, I know. Luckily she doesn't know the difference and will have just as much fun next year. She asked to put her monkey costume on tonight, so I'm sure the thing will get a ton of wear. We're just glad she feels better and that no one else has come down with anything.....YET!



Isn't this the most pathetic looking monkey you've ever seen? Looks like a homeless monkey!



The only attempted smile




Yummy little pea pod! Does the costume look familiar?



https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEgTNW22t63nyxaI3pIOUF8rDtADC4TYORYRv9FBDo18x1b5ZfC8mXblvhKC0QmmXPAw1YsWg-hs1J8Idj_GDlH_2UZb5nJ2YqglHoY-zeuvdgEKEsYLhhhklKESU-zsPocHjZjTQ-ysoA/s1600-h/October,+2008+095.jpg










SUCH a happy baby








No comments:

Post a Comment